State arts agencies directly serve the public through grants for artists, arts education, organizations and communities. Explore the many facets of state arts agency grant-making data including trends, fact sheets and topical analyses.
Grant-Making Statistics and Summaries
NASAA collects grant-making statistics every year through Final Descriptive Reports. Data from the 1980s onward is available for use. This overview of state arts agency grant-making and funding activities provides summary grant statistics, funding trends over time and select state-by-state information. It is a succinct introduction to state arts agencies.
Members can request custom benchmarking reports that compare their agency’s funding and grant making over time and/or against their peers. These reports provide an overview of the SAA and are useful for council meetings, strategic planning sessions and legislative testimony. Reports are created on demand and are customized to meet the unique needs of each SAA.
Grant-Making Fact Sheets and Resources
- State Arts Agencies Advancing Equity: Race Equity
- State Arts Agencies Advancing Equity: Economic Equity
- Better Together: Public and Private Arts investment
- Visualizing Equity in Grant Making
- State Arts Agency Support for Folk Arts
- General Operating Support Fact Sheet
- Support for Arts Education Fact Sheet
- Support for Individual Artists Fact Sheet
- Artist Fellowships Strategy Sampler
- Support for Local Arts Agencies Fact Sheet
- State Arts Agency Decentralization Programs
- Support for Arts in Rural Communities Fact Sheet
- Infographic: SAAs Create More Equitable Access to the Arts
NEA Grant Making
Ask NASAA’s Research Team