The National Assembly of State Arts agencies (NASAA) is recruiting a full-time research associate. This position plays an important role in building a national evidence base about state arts agencies and facilitating the use of research across multiple NASAA program and service areas. The candidate chosen for this position will:
- document state government programs, policies and partnerships that foster the arts;
- analyze information to identify themes and trends;
- communicate information to multiple audiences.
This position is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to work in a national association and is interested in research, government or philanthropy as well as the arts or humanities. NASAA is a nonprofit that offers a professional and friendly working atmosphere in a small-office setting located in downtown Washington, D.C., near Metro.
This position entails a creative variety of duties, including:
- conducting qualitative research (including interviews, document analysis, surveys, literature reviews and mining websites and newsletters)
- conducting membership surveys
- tracking state legislation relevant to state arts agencies
- securing and organizing policy documents (such as advocacy tools, guidelines, strategic plans or legislation)
- writing and editing articles and reports
- answering information requests from colleagues, government agencies and the public
- developing and maintaining databases relevant to state arts agency programs
- assisting with the design and delivery of learning events
- packaging and promoting research products
- contributing to team projects
Please review the detailed Research Associate Position Description.
This position requires both research and communications expertise. Qualifications include:
- bachelor’s or master’s degree
- 1+ year of full-time work experience in a professional setting
- demonstrated knowledge of research methods and both qualitative and quantitative analysis
- superior writing and editing abilities, including the ability to distill complex information
- superior verbal communication skills
- fluency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Access
- keen attention to detail, accuracy and organization
- ability to establish a rapport of trust with research informants
- a positive member/customer service attitude
- Proficiency using Tableau
- Experience conducting surveys using SurveyGizmo or other on-line survey software
- Experience using qualitative data analysis software
- Graphic design abilities, document layout skills and experience with Adobe products
- Experience conducting research in a policy environment
Salary and Benefits
The research associate is a full-time, salaried (exempt) position including benefits. The salary range for NASAA program associates is $40K – $60K. Starting salary depends on qualifications and experience.
Apply via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Research Associate Search” as the subject line. All applications must include:
- a current résumé
- a written reply answering the following two questions. Limit each response to 300 words:
- Why are you interested in conducting research relevant to public agencies?
- What role do you believe the arts play in fostering diversity, equity and inclusion?
- one writing sample demonstrating your ability to synthesize information and communicate clearly
Up to two additional work samples demonstrating your layout/design skills also may be submitted. For best consideration, apply before February 5, 2020. Do not apply via fax, phone call or hard copy.
NASAA is dedicated to creating a workplace that welcomes, respects and values people of all races, colors, ages, genders, gender identities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, creeds, ancestries, national origins, disabilities and veteran statuses. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.